Thursday, August 9, 2012

What is the real saving name?

Acts 26: 12  “And while I was going for this cause to Darmsuq with the authority and approval of The Chief Priests,” 13“At noonday, Oh, King, while on the road, I saw a light from the heavens greater than that of the sun, which burst upon me, and upon all who were with me.” 14And we all fell upon the ground, and I heard a voice, which said to me in Judean Aramaic, “Shaul, Shaul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick the goads.” 15“And I said, “Who are you my lord?” And our Lord said to me, 'I am Yeshua the Nazarene, whom you are persecuting.'   Acts 26: 12

Now, I have been questioned what difference does it make Yeshua or Jesus, since He knows who we are talking about?  Right you are, He knows what is in our hearts/minds before we speak.  What if we could not even speak His name at all, because we were unable to speak.  He still knows in whom we have believed, the point of our faith!

That is not my point.  My point is this:  If we are going to make a whole denomination on the "Name of Jesus" and tell men and women if they are not water baptized correctly "In the Name of Jesus" they cannot be saved then I believe we must examine our stance.  "Jesus" was not His name.  It is an English rendering of the Hebrew name Yeshua.  So if the correct name must be "mouthed" in water baptism for it to be correct then do it right and say "Yeshua"!  There was no "J" in any language until the 15th century.  That is my 2 cents on that!

So that you will see I am not "straining at a gnat"  http://www.upcbaypoint.com/Articles2/early_church_baptism.html

As sure as you start saying "you must do this and that to be saved"...you enter into "troubling waters".  

(example)  You must be circumcised to be saved:  

Phil 3:2 New Living Translation (©2007)
Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved.

No comments: